For the parents of premature infants:
It was not supposed to happen this way! You dreamed of the perfect delivery and the perfect baby, Now you just have sleepless nights, and the dream has all but disappeared!
Do you feel like no one understands what you are going through? These are common feelings in the NICU. Life in the NICU can feel like an emotional roller coaster.
You are not alone !
As a NICU nurse I have over 25 years of experience working with the families of prematures. As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I can help.
Are you feeling?
- unable to focus
WHEN TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING:
It is normal to experience a range of emotions and changes in behavior while your baby is in the NICU. You may find it difficult to deal with some of these feelings. You can benefit from seeing a professional therapist if:
- You think it might help you feel better.
- Your abiity to cope with the situation is not improving & you feel stuck.
- You continue to find no joy in other parts of your life
- You are having trouble in your relationship with your partner or others close to you.
- You feel that a parent support group just isn't "quite enought".
IT IS ESSENTIAL TO SPEAK WITH A PROFESSIONAL THERAPIST IF:
- You feel prolongs numbness or detachment
- You continue to feel detached from your baby
- You have trouble getting out of bed or starting your day
- You feel unable to cope or manage your other responsibilities
- You think about harming yourself or others
from THE MARCH OF DIMES
1 out of 10 infants in the U.S. are admitted into Neonatal Intensive Care Units
NICU families face special challenges and no one in the family is untouched
POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION IS THE #1 COMPLICATION OF PREGNANCY